Blowing the Whistle on Diebold
By John Ireland
In These Times
Monday 17 July 2006
On July 13, the Pensacola, Fla.-based law firm of Robert F. Kennedy
Jr. filed a “qui tam” lawsuit in U.S. District Court, alleging that
Diebold and other electronic voting machine (EVM) companies
fraudulently represented to state election boards and the federal
government that their products were “unhackable.”
Kennedy claims to have witnesses “centrally located, deep within the
corporations,” who will confirm that company officials withheld their
knowledge of problems with accuracy, reliability and security of EVMs
in order to procure government contracts. Since going into service,
many of these machines have been linked to allegations of election
In the wake of alleged vote count inconsistencies and the “hanging
chad” debacle of 2000, Congress passed the Help America Vote Act
(HAVA) in 2002. HAVA appropriated $3 billion to replace voting
equipment and make other improvements in election administration.
Diebold, Election Systems & Software and Sequoia Systems secured the
lion’s share of $300 million in contracts to purchase EVMs. All 50
states have received funds and many are hurriedly spending it on
replacing lever and punch card machines in time for November.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.