What makes you think I want to “take no steps”? Have you read any of my work?
The DRE machines cannot be trusted. Period. We should–and, one day, will– be following the lead of the democracies in Canada and Europe, and moving to a system of all paper ballots. No doubt you’ll call that plan “unrealistic.” It’s actually a lot more realistic than the use of paper trails, which Bush & Co. supports. Why do you think they support it? Because they know that it won’t do them any harm, and may in fact do them some good.
You, and everybody else, should now be concentrating on informing the American public of the actual unworkability of DRE technology for any civic purpose. Once the people know the score, they’ll see that paper ballots are a lot more realistic than a fake “solution” that will only make things that much worse.
I read what I can only categorize as your bizarre response to today’s article on evoting.
Yes, a paper trail is only a step in the right direction. But what would you have us do? Take no steps and whine forever how our democracy is lost?
I’m interested in your proposal of what we SHOULD do, not what we should NOT do. Where is it? Can I read it somewhere?
“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.” – Thomas Jefferson
No Comments to “MCM replies to a defense of paper trails”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.