>Folks – Eleanor’s story [below] is why I’m advocating for no more secret
>ballots. All votes should be a matter of public record.
Dear Ilene Proctor,
There were no electronic machines in our district, the heart of the Busby-Bilbray district. they were instead very fragile, tacky, old cardboard election boxes in which you dropped your traditional ballot. Inexplicably, the machine refused to accept my husband’s completed ballot. I tried mine as well, but the same thing happened, though the woman before us had had no trouble. A poll watcher rushed over, adjusted the machine and said it was working again. We expected to slip our ballots into the box then, but the man stopped us, saying our votes had already rung up. I said I didn’t care, my vote was not in the box yet and I was going to insert it. The man literally grabbed our ballots out of our hands and shoved them into another box, which he said was the one containing the absentee ballots. I protested but he claimed they would be counted along with the absentee votes. I said I was very angry about this. But it was already done and he said he couldn’t open it to remove our ballots.
He had literally grabbed the ballots out of our hands so quickly that I remember thinking that that would be how a mugger might have grabbed our wallets on a supermarket line, the element of surprise making us ripe for the plucking.
I have used absentee ballots on occasion in the past. There are very strict rules about the envelope protecting the enclosed ballot, how the voter must sign his or her signature only, etc. At the least sign of non-compliance, the ballot would be eliminated from consideration. Was it possible that 2 naked Democratic Party ballots without envelopes would be counted when they were found in the wrong box? Hardly. I was furious and shocked to have been so blatantly disenfranchised.. I called the Busby headquarters as soon as I got home. They took down the information, said they would get back to me within the next few days, but we never heard from them again.
Please look into the older system as well as the newer electronic system. I am still angry about what happened to us. These are people who will stop at nothing to manipulate our electoral process.
We have decided to only vote absentee from now on. This is unfortunate since we enjoy the act of voting in person.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.