Breaking: Spying started well before 9/11
By Evan Derkacz
Posted on July 3, 2006, Printed on July 4, 2006
Bloomberg News reported, on the Friday before a four day weekend, that Bush administration NSA spying plans began well before 9/11.
“The U.S. National Security Agency asked AT&T Inc. to help it set up a domestic call monitoring site seven months before the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, lawyers claimed June 23 in court papers filed in New York federal court.”
John in DC writes: “if true, it negates Bush’s entire argument that the spying was needed to fight the war on terror…”
More than that, it negates the administration’s legal defense that it was the Authorization to Use Military Force that authorized the program.
It obliterates it and seems to point to the expansion of presidential power as the true reason for the program.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.