I have regretfully decided not to renew my subscription to Salon,
which is to expire in less than 24 hours.
Cancelling a subscription in protest of an individual article is, I
think, rather juvenile, and contrary to a proper liberal endorsement
of free and open debate of public issues. I regard Manjoo’s article
on RFK Jr. as an abomination, as was his review of Mark Crispin
Miller’s book, and I am on record saying so. (
www.crisispapers.org/essays6p/debunk.htm–also posted on Democratic
Underground, Smirking Chimp and numerous other sites). On balance,
Salon’s output is a net plus (Scherer and Blumenthal come to mind)
and the site should not be punished primarily because of one author.
What pushed me over the line was Editor Joan Walsh’s defense of
Manjoo. OK that she agrees with him and not with me — again,
because of the value of open debate. But she also said that Salon
has closed its editorial mind on the election fraud issue, and will
not publish articles contrary to its position — notably, Miller’s
response to Manjoo.
And that is unacceptable.
The same approval of free, open and diverse debate that allows me to
tolerate Manjoo, motivates me to end my support of Salon, which has
now stated a policy of shutting out such debate.
If and when Salon reverses this policy and opens its editorial mind
to this crucial public issue, I will be pleased to resume my
Ernest Partridge, Co-Editor
The Crisis Papers
No Comments to “Another Salon reader calls it quits”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.