Reporter On ‘Suicide Watch’ at Gitmo
Michael Gordon of the Charlotte Observer was the only American reporter at the Guantanamo prison facility this week when three detainees killed themselves. Now he is sending back dispatches on the U.S. response. The prison commander complains that he can’t trust the inmates “any farther than we can throw them.”
By Greg Mitchell
(June 13, 2006) — Michael Gordon of the Charlotte Observer was the first U.S. reporter to arrive at the Guantanamo prison camp just after three prisoners at the controversial facility committed suicide on Saturday. Since then he has filed some remarkable dispatches, culminating in the latest on Tuesday, in which the U.S. commander of the camp, Col. Mike Bumgarner, angrily declared that all the prisoners had proven to be untrustworthy.
They can’t be trusted — to not kill themselves, that is.
Now Gordon is at the center of a media storm, denied further access to the prison, as two of his colleagues, from the Miami Herald and Los Angeles Times, were ordered off the island by the Pentagon. A Pentagon press officer told E&P that Gordon’s Tuesday article, described below, “caused controversy” and that he should have the good manners to leave now, since he’s had enough time to research his “hometowner.” Gordon may have decided to leave on Wednesday with the other journalists.
No Comments to “Guantanamo inmates "can't be trusted" not to kill themselves”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.