National Security Agency Will
“Neither Confirm Nor Deny” Surveillance of LGBT Community
“2006 is the new 1984,” says SLDN
Washington, DC – In a June 5 letter to counsel for Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), the National Security Agency (NSA) says it will “neither confirm nor deny the existence or non-existence” of information that may have been obtained through agency surveillance of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. SLDN sought information, through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, after media reports indicated the agency may have been monitoring groups and individuals opposed to the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” ban on lesbian, gay and bisexual personnel. The June 5 letter was sent in response to SLDN’s appeal of NSA’s refusal to release any information related to that surveillance. The appeal was filed on SLDN’s behalf by the law firm of Proskauer Rose LLP.
“2006 is the new 1984,” said SLDN executive director C. Dixon Osburn. “The federal government’s Orwellian surveillance programs of ordinary, law-abiding citizens violates our right to privacy under current law. The government’s refusal to disclose its surveillance programs erodes the public trust.”
The NSA letter, from William B. Black, Jr., notes that “any substantive response to [the original] request would tend to confirm or deny specific activities.” SLDN has up to five years to appeal the NSA’s response.
In January, the Department of Defense acknowledged that it had “inappropriately” conducted surveillance on student protestors at several universities. The Pentagon has also indicated it has additional surveillance materials, in the form of government TALON reports, which will be released at a later date. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has said the surveillance program is “no big deal.”
A copy of the NSA letter, along with other materials related to SLDN’s FOIA request and lawsuit, is available online at www.sldn.org
No Comments to “Gay Americans under NSA surveillance??”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.