How the Right Stole the 2004 Election & Why They’ll Steal the Next One Too (Unless We Stop Them)
by Mark Crispin Miller
Reviewed by Fred Schepartz
Fooled Again, by Mark Crispin Miller
Election Night 2000. I knock off work early and make a beeline to the Crystal Corner, the venerable corner saloon on Madison’s hip and groovy Near Eastside, a mere 12 blocks from the Wisconsin Capitol dome. I’m hoping to raise a bottle of Leinenkugel high in the air to toast a victory for Al Gore.
When I arrive at a little past midnight, the Crystal is crowded, but not packed. And it is jubilant. Most of the major networks had just projected victory for Gore. But no! Wait! Hold on just a second! Suddenly, Fox declares victory for George W. Bush. Like lemmings, the other networks follow suit. What follows is a surreal nightmare. Gore is duped into conceding. The counting in Florida essentially stops, even though Gore is actually winning. Gore takes back his concession. There’s an electronic recount, then a hand recount. Republican Party operatives storm one of the election headquarters and through physical intimidation demand that the recount stop. The whole matter goes from court to court to court until the U.S. Supreme Court, in Bush v. Gore, orders the recount halted once and for all, thus giving Bush the presidency. Sandra Day O’Connor casts the swing vote, something she will later say that she lived to regret, that she handed the White House to a candidate who did not even win the popular vote.
Fast-forward four years later. I’m back at the Crystal, hoping to toast a John Kerry victory. I’m hopeful. Gulf War II had taken a turn for the worse. The economy is in the dumper. Pre-election polls showed Kerry holding a slim lead. Ralph Nader’s campaign doesn’t have the same juice as back in 2000. And there seemed to be an immense groundswell of grassroots activism of registration and get-out-the-vote drives, largely featuring people not necessarily inside the Democratic Party establishment through groups such as MoveOn.org.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.