Why is the Media Downplaying Our Voting Scandal?
by Danny Schechter
Published on Friday, May 19, 2006
Explain this to me. Why do so few of our TV
“journalists” and political reporters seem interested in
all the questions that have been raised about the
integrity of our voting system?
Voting is at the heart of our democracy. Billions of
dollars are spent on political campaigns and tens of
millions on covering them. All the networks have
election units complete with pollsters, analysts and
experts up the kazoo. All of them sound authoritative
and spice their commentary with personal war stories and
a parade of insider anecdotes.
Just tune in any election night and you have to marvel
at all the space age technology, fancy graphics and
computer assisted projections. The anchors seem to know
as much about the history of voting percentages in each
Congressional district as fanatical baseball fans recall
earned run averages and the speed of each pitch.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.