From Vicky Perry:
Many would agree with the new interpretation of “HAVA” in the headline below. The editorial rightly pushes for a scenario where the choices are made AFTER certification: “Asking for official action on a plan that has not been approved is inefficient and just plain dysfunctional. … state elections board should salvage one aspect of the process by at least not asking county commissioners to recommend buying a product not yet known”
Please write in your letters of support for cost-effective, reliable scanners counting paper ballots. Support your arguments by going to our new page of research:
Saturday, May 20, 2006
Help, don’t hinder, voting
The Help America Vote Act could easily be renamed the Hinder New Yorkers to Vote Act. The process has been bungled from the get-go and it shows no signs of immediately improving, even though a federal lawsuit has been filed against the state to address the situation.
New York will miss the federal deadline to have new machines in place by the 2006 election. Other states’ compliance range from partial to full implementation of the program, which was created following the debacle of the 2000 presidential election. Some states have encountered problems, but at least they are further along than New York.
The law is supposed to ensure all votes are counted, and it allocates federal money to achieve that goal. New York is slated to receive $49 million to buy new machines.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.