Two good pieces…
Thursday, May 11, 2006
And speaking of no longer being tinfoil hat stuff……
As we head into the midterm elections, more people than ever before in the reality-based community (i.e. those who don’t get their news from the Delusionists at Fox News) believe that George W. Bush stole the 2004 election:
In the first poll of its kind, OpEdNews.com, in the second OpEdNews/Zogby People’s poll has learned that except for viewers of right wing news show, Fox News, poll respondents believe that the 2004 presidential election was stolen.
Overall, the poll found that 39% said that the 2004 election was stolen. 54% said it was legitimate. Shortly after the election, the NY Times suggested that a few fringe extremists and bloggers were concerned about the theft of the election.
May 12, 2006
Reversing Course on Electronic Voting
Some Former Backers of Technology Seek Return to Paper Ballots, Citing Glitches, Fraud Fears
By JEANNE CUMMINGS
WASHINGTON — Some advocates of a 2002 law mandating upgrades of the nation’s voting machinery now worry the overhaul is making things worse.
With the 2006 midterm elections approaching, proponents of the Help America Vote Act are filing lawsuits to block some state and election officials’ efforts to comply with the act.
The Help America Vote Act called for upgrading election equipment to guard against another contested outcome such as the 2000 presidential vote. Among the flaws in balloting almost six years ago were antiquated hand-operated voting machines and punch-card ballots that were difficult to read. To redress that, members of Congress pushed for modernization, which could include touch-screen voting machines, on which ballots are cast and recorded solely electronically. At the time, the electronic voting machines were seen as a reliable contrast to the older technology.
The lawsuits — nine so far — coincide with a stampede by state and county officials to spend $3 billion allocated by Congress to help pay for upgrades. To comply with the Help America Vote Act, a number of states and dozens of counties purchased touch-screen voting machines. The deadline for spending the money is tied to each state’s 2006 primary dates.
No Comments to “The earth is moving, friends….”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.