Rotten in Denmark
05/11/2006 @ 2:05 pm
Filed by Nancy Goldstein – Raw Story columnist
Media critic Mark Crispin Miller has been trying to tell us that electronic touch screen voting stinks for years now — most recently with last fall’s publication of Fooled Again: How the Right Stole the 2004 Election & Why They’ll Steal the Next One Too (Unless We Stop Them).
He has repeatedly warned us that electronic touch-screen machines are untrustworthy. They are prone to break down. They leave no paper trail. They make fraud almost impossible to detect. And they’re manufactured by private vendors with very close ties to the Republican Party, such as Diebold and ES&S. (Waldon O’Dell, the former chief executive of Diebold who was forced to step down this past winter amidst allegations of insider trading, famously told Bush supporters in a 2003 fund-raising letter that he was “committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year.”)
Miller’s theories about widespread systemic voter fraud have not always been kindly received by progressive media outlets (dismissive reviews of his book appeared on Salon and in Mother Jones). So he must have been feeling at least a momentary flush of schaudenfraude when I caught up with him earlier this month. Ohio had just held the first election in which all 88 counties used either touch-screen machines or devices that scan ballots marked by voters. And it had unfolded like a virtual show-and-tell of his key points.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.