From Democratic Underground:
ACTION ALERT; Immigration Bill has Mandatory State Voter ID. No Way
Here we go. McConnell, co Sponsor of HAVA is SNEAKING IN MANDATORY STATE VOTER ID’S FOR EVERYBODY in the Immigration bill.
CALL YOUR SENATORS NOW AND TELL THEM NO WAY FOR “SA4085” – No mandatory State Voter ID’s. THIS IS HUGE!!!
Senate Phone numbers] – Please CALL first then email or write. We can beat this!!!
SA 4085. Mr. McCONNELL submitted an amendment intended to be proposed by him to the bill S. 2611, to provide for comprehensive immigration reform and for other purposes; which was ordered to lie on the table; as follows:
At the appropriate place, insert the following:
SEC. __X. IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS.
(a) Requirement (etc.)
“(8) An indication of whether the person is a United States citizen.”.
(b) Identification Required for Voting in Person.–
(1) IN GENERAL.–Title III of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (42 U.S.C. 15481 et seq.) is amended by redesignating sections 304 and 305 as sections 305 and 306, respectively, and by inserting after section 303 the following new section:
“SEC. 304. IDENTIFICATION OF VOTERS AT THE POLLS.
“(a) In General.–Notwithstanding the requirements of section 303(b), each State shall require individuals casting ballots in an election for Federal office in person to present before voting a current valid photo identification which is issued by a governmental entity and which meets the requirements of subsection (b) of section 202 of the REAL ID Act of 2005 (49 U.S.C. 30301 note).
“(b) Effective Date.–Each State shall be required to comply with the requirements of subsection (a) on and after May 11, 2008.”.
(2) CONFORMING AMENDMENT.–Section 401 of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (42 U.S.C. 15511) is amended by striking “and 303” and inserting “303, and 304”.
(c) Funding for Free Photo Identifications.–Subtitle D of title II of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (42 U.S.C. 15401 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following:
“PART 7–PHOTO IDENTIFICATION
“SEC. 297. PAYMENTS FOR FREE PHOTO IDENTIFICATION.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.