sue Florida over law
By Jim LoneyThu May 18, 5:44 PM ET
A Florida law that fines civic groups conducting voter registration drives violates free speech rights, harms low-income and minority citizens and should be struck down, a lawsuit filed on Thursday said.
The 2005 law has forced the League of Women Voters of Florida and other groups to shut down nonpartisan voter registration activities, while allowing political parties to continue, the suit, filed in U.S. District Court, claims.
“This has completely shut down voter registration groups. These groups helped over half a million Florida citizens register in 2004,” Wendy Weiser, of the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law, said.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.