Amid doubts about the reliability and security of electronic voting machines, there is Michael Shamos.
Shamos, a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, puts electronic machines through the paces for the state of Pennsylvania.
He was in the news a couple of weeks ago when he tested Montgomery County’s 1996-vintage electronic machines, which had been upgraded to meet the demands of federal law. Shamos found some bugs in the county system, which got another chance for certification on Tuesday.
In a telephone interview last week, Shamos said a possible solution was for the county to still use the individual Sequoia machines, which worked fine, but add the numbers from each machine by using something other than Sequoia’s vote-counting software, which did not.
He said people opposed to electronic voting sometimes jump on such problems. ”Any irregularity is trumped up to be, ‘See, I told you these machines were no good.”’
I asked Shamos if there was anything he could say to the people of Bucks County, who soon will switch from mechanical to electronic voting machines (even if it’s not in time for the coming primary election). He said his style is not to give blanket endorsements of electronic voting to make people feel better. ”If the objective is to make the voters feel better,” Shamos said, ”you can do that by giving them Valium at the polling place.”
No Comments to “Expert urges Valium for nervous voters”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.