Bushevik subversion of Ohio recount

From today’s Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Workers accused of fudging ’04 recount
Prosecutor says Cuyahoga skirted rules
Thursday, April 06, 2006

Joan Mazzolini
Plain Dealer Reporter

After the 2004 presidential election, Cuyahoga County election workers secretly skirted rules designed to make sure all votes were counted correctly, a special prosecutor charges.

While there is no evidence of vote fraud, the prosecutor said their efforts were aimed at avoiding an expensive – and very public – hand recount of all votes cast. Three top county elections officials have been indicted, and Erie County Prosecutor Kevin Baxter says more indictments are possible.

Michael Vu, executive director of the Cuyahoga County elections board, said workers followed procedures that had been in place for 23 years. He said board employees had no objection to doing an exhaustive hand count if needed, meaning they had no motive to break the law.

Read more.

0 thoughts on “Bushevik subversion of Ohio recount”

  1. In the month since a third employee at the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections was indicted, Joan Mazzolini has done a great job of fleshing out the story in this post. A line in the story that “…the fix was in…” is an accurate characterization, given my personal experience.

    During my time as a citizen observer at the Board of Elections (December 16-17, 2004) I listened to Director Michael Vu and Deputy Director Gwen Dillingham explain that the sample of 3% of ballots had been arbitrarily determined, rather than randomly as is required in Ohio.

    The BOE had delayed the start of this recount an additional day at the last minute, giving them more time to “select more representative” precincts to be recounted. This delay also gave them the opportunity to pre-count to insure a clean recount for show the next day.

    Today’s story quotes Mr. Vu as saying it had been done this way for some 23 years. Baloney! The Board of Elections broke the law, plain and simple. The trio indicted has been charged with misdemeanor and felony counts of failing to follow the state elections law.

    My experience as a director and manager in several positions of public trust convince me that these three individuals did not act alone without the knowledge, if not the direction, of the two senior officials. This aspect needs to be investigated further to make certain who knew what and when, before condemning just the 3 women mentioned in the story.

    More attention should be given by the special prosecutor to the accountability Mr. Vu and Ms. Dillingham.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *