For background, see the Oakland Tribune story below.
—– Original Message —–
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:25 AM
Subject: Article about Stephen Heller’s case
Hello to all of our family, friends and supporters. This is Michele, Stephen’s wife. This is a link to an article about Stephen’s situation in the Oakland Tribune. In case you have trouble with the link, the article is also reprinted below. This article will also soon be on the “Press” page of the Stephen Heller Legal Defense Fund website: www.hellerlegaldefensefund.com
Please feel free to forward this email and/or the links to anyone and everyone.
Thanks again for all of your help and support. We are truly in your debt.
E-vote case puts actor in limelight
Diebold software leak makes whistle-blower a folk hero to activists
By Ian Hoffman, STAFF WRITER
Inside Bay Area
One night early in 2004, a few weeks before the presidential primary, a Van Nuys actor making ends meet temping as a word processor listened on headphones as a young lawyer laid out a defense for Diebold Election Systems Inc.’s use of unapproved voting software in Alameda County.
Sitting at a computer terminal on the 45th floor of a Los Angeles skyscraper, Steve Heller transcribed the lawyer’s taped memo suggesting that Diebold could claim the software was a new, “experimental” voting system, even though it had handled two Alameda County elections in 2003.
Heller led a quiet life in the San Fernando Valley with his wife, dog and an occasional supporting role in film, TV or commercials, usually cast as someone’s neighbor or dad, which is what he looks like. He was an “experienced and competent” word processor but no “heavyweight” in the eyes of his night-shift supervisor, who doubted Heller knew his computer commands were recorded.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.