This is what happens when fanatics seize the state.
South Dakota House passes ban on abortion, challenging court’s Roe v. Wade decision
Feb 10, 2006
By Michael Foust
PIERRE, S.D. (BP)–In a direct challenge to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, the South Dakota House of Representatives easily passed a bill Feb. 9 that would ban nearly all abortions in the state.
The bill passed by a vote of 47-22 and now goes to the state Senate, where a vote is expected to be tight. Ten of the Senate’s 35 members are sponsors. It is not known whether Gov. Mike Rounds, a pro-life Republican, would sign it.
Supporters of the bill — which has an exception for the mother’s life — hope it leads to the overturning of Roe, the infamous decision that legalized abortion nationwide. Opponents of the bill tried unsuccessfully Feb. 9 to add an amendment making an exception for rape and incest.
If it passes the Senate and is signed into law, a legal challenge almost certainly will follow.
“I honestly believe that this is the time to address this issue,” state Rep. Roger W. Hunt, a Republican and the bill’s chief House sponsor, said during floor debate.
The Senate sponsor is Democratic state Sen. Julie Bartling.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.