New York Times
February 23, 2006
Voter Groups See Flaws in Plan to Upgrade Balloting
By JENNIFER MEDINA
ALBANY, Feb. 22 Voter advocacy groups contended on Wednesday that New York was moving forward with a flawed proposal to modernize its voting system that could lead to widespread security problems on Election Day.
Next week, the State Board of Elections is scheduled to discuss proposed regulations for the brands and types of voting machines that will be certified for this fall’s elections. Legislation passed last year allows local election boards to choose their own machines as long as they meet the state board’s standards.
But the advocacy groups said the measures did not require enough tests to see if the machines would work or independent tests to determine if hackers could penetrate the machines’ security systems. Tests conducted by other states, including California, have found that nearly 20 percent of the machines tested did not count votes properly, said Bo Lipari, the executive director of New Yorkers for Verified Voting, a nonprofit advocacy group.
The proposed Final Voting Systems Standards do very little to improve the many serious weaknesses present in the Draft Standards. It is troubling that the detailed technical commentary the State Board received from our organization and other experts was simply ignored in this latest revision.
New Yorkers for Verified Voting finds the proposed Final Standards in their present form to be unacceptable. Approving these standards as written will jeopardize the integrity of our vote in New York. It is incumbent upon theNew York State Board of Elections to guarantee each citizen’s right to vote, and to prove to the public that they can be confident that their votes will be accurately counted. The Final Standards fail in this regard. We need to do better.
Attached (below) is the introduction to our commentary on the Final Standards. Because so few changes were made to the draft regulations, we feel the only adequate response to the Final Standards is to resubmit our original commentary to the Draft Standards.
The full version submitted to the NYS Board of Elections contains NYVV’s complete commentary for the Draft Standards.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.