Thanks a lot for putting up the VichyDems site during the filibuster fight. It helped: on Monday the site was only 6 days old, and drew over 7,000 hits. I estimate we turned out at least a few tens of thousands of phone calls from there alone.
I’m not stopping, though. The Alito fight, in my eyes, was always just the opening salvo in a larger game plan. With all those calls, the Vichy Dems who voted yes on cloture knew full well that they were going against the wishes of the base; and the ones that supported the filibuster knew, just as clearly, that they were
acceding to their base. Phase Two MUST be to demonstrate, to both groups, that we’re watching them, rewarding the good, punishing the bad. Otherwise, all that work was for nothing.
So, on http://vichydems.blogspot.com, I’m moving forward.
cross-referenced the Dem Senators for and against the filibuster with who’s up for reelection this year, and who’s in the Gang of 14. (Hey — everyone in the G14 voted for cloture! Hey — if everyone up for reelection pandered to their base, we would have won!)
(I’ve also got links to a couple of challengers: Ned Lamont (vs Joementum) and Mark Wilson (vs. Cantwell). I’d appreciate people’s thoughts about Wilson, in particular: is he the best guy to beat Cantwell in the primary and still win the general? Is Cantwell really a Vichy?)
Second, I REALLY wish that everyone who made millions of phone calls, emails and faxes to Senators before the cloture vote, would make at least a few – and hopefully more than a few – to praise those who did the right thing, and later to chastise those who didn’t. I’m
starting with the praise to the good guys. It’s really important, both to retain the moral high ground (we say thank you to those who support us), AND TACTICALLY, because it reminds them that WE’RE STILL PAYING ATTENTION.
I estimate we — meaning everyone, Kos, MoveOn, NARAL, everyone — turned out several hundred thousand phone calls against cloture. I’d like to crank out at least 50,000 thank yous over the next week or two. Our grandmothers will be proud of us. After we’ve sent our thank you notes, we’ll start making the screw you calls.
As before, complete contact resources are over at my site.
No Comments to “Let's take down the Vichy Democrats!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.