Today’s New York Times claims that “the left” wants the Democrats on the
Judiciary Committee to get tougher with Alito.
“The left”? Is it “left-wing” to insist on the separation of powers? Is it “leftists”
who won’t want the president to wield imperial authority? Apparently the Founding Fathers were a bunch of socialists.
Here are three strong “leftist” pieces on the threat posed by Alito’s nomination and those Democrats (and sane Republicans, if there are any left) who won’t oppose the will of George I.
George Bush’s rough justice
The career of the latest supreme court nominee has been marked by his hatred of liberalism
Thursday January 12, 2006
“If the president deems that he’s got to torture somebody, including by crushing the testicles of the person’s child, there is no law that can stop him?” “No treaty,” replied John Yoo, the former justice department official who wrote the crucial memos justifying President Bush’s policies on torture, detainees and domestic surveillance without warrants.
Yoo publicly debated last month the radical notion of the “unitary executive” – that the president, as commander-in-chief, is sole judge of the law, unbound by hindrances such as the Geneva conventions, and has inherent authority to subordinate independent government agencies to his fiat. This is the cornerstone of the Bush legal doctrine.
Yoo’s interlocutor, Douglass Cassel, a professor at the Notre Dame law school, pointed out that the theory of the unitary executive posits the president above other branches of government: “Also no law by Congress. That is what you wrote in the August 2002 memo.”
“I think it depends on why the president thinks he needs to do that,” said Yoo.
The “unitary executive” is nothing less than “gospel”, declared the federal judge Samuel Alito in 2000 – it is a theory that “best captures the meaning of the constitution’s text and structure”. Alito’s belief was perhaps the paramount credential for his nomination by Bush to the supreme court.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.