Advocates urge adherence to North Carolina voting code review
Sunday January 15, 2006 (12:00 PM GMT)
By: Jay Lyman
Advocates for transparency in electronic voting systems praise North Carolina’s Public Confidence in Elections law that requires rigorous review of the code used in the state’s certified elections software. They just wish North Carolina elections officials would adhere to the legislation.
Click here to find out more!
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has sued the state’s Board of Elections and Office of IT Services on behalf of voting integrity advocate Joyce McCloy for certifying Diebold systems for use in the state without the legally required review.
While they concede the legislation is perhaps the most rigorous review of e-voting code required in the US — it requires code review based on nine criteria, including code and application security — transparency proponents fear that North Carolina lawmakers will fold under pressure from e-voting system vendors, including Diebold, and undo the requirements.
“The election code [law] is very good on the transparency side,” EFF staff attorney Matt Zimmerman told NewsForge. “It shouldn’t be thrown out because a company can’t comply, and I hope elections officials don’t cringe. This is a very stringent election code — the most stringent in the country. Part of the problem with new [e-voting] systems is that the law, in a lot of places, simply hasn’t caught up to the technology.”
No Comments to “The situation in North Carolina”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.