New Wisconsin Election Bill Not as Positive as Originally Reported By Activists and Others
Contrary to reports, bill does NOT allow for examination of source code!
Original version — which did — was changed during amendment process to remove important clause!
Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org and VoteTrustUSA.Org
Additional Reporting by Brad Friedman
The voting activist and election reform advocacy community was excited yesterday upon release of news about the signing of a new bill in Wisconsin, AB267, that originally included wording that would allow munipalities to “provide to any person, upon request, at the expense of the municipality, the coding for the software that the municipality uses to operate the system and to tally the votes cast”. Indeed, The BRAD BLOG received many email reports last night about the “good news” concerning this bill.
The bill, as understood and reported by many, would have been the first time that voting activists would have been afforded the opportunity to actually “look under the hood” of voting machines by examining the source code used in the software in order to see what was really being done on the equipment supplied by Voting Machine Companies. So far, those companies have managed keep such source code secret and proprietary and away from the ‘prying eyes’ of the pesky public who has been forced — by the corporate privatization of America’s public elections — to rely on such secret software to accurately record and count their votes.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.