Below is info re an Ohio House Bill to be voted on most probably this week . . .it’s unbelievable.
The more publicized parts of Ohio HB3 will henceforth require voter ID and we all know what that means. But what has not received publicity – and for this I fault the Ohio state reps – is HUGE:
1. The cost of ordering a recount will quintuple – going from $10 to $50 PER PRECINCT – making it virtually unaffordable
2. Electronic machines will be exempted from recounts by random sampling, even in close, disputed elections. In the 2005 election, 41 additional Ohio counties (of 88) were switched to Diebold touchscreen machine
3. HB3 will make it virtually impossible for any challenge to be mounted involving any votes cast or counted on electronic machines or tabulators — meaning virtually every vote cast in Ohio.
From the Daily Digest of Democracy for Cincinnati:
It is highly likely the so-called “election reform” bill, HB 3, will be
addressed by a state House and Senate conference this week AND voted in both
houses. There may not be any opportunity for public testimony. It would be
a good week to contact you state legislators. Congressweb appears to be an
easy way to do that. http://congressweb.com/
While Diebold is not explicitly addressed in the legislation, you might
express your concern about electronic voting and your support to keep the
machine audit in the bill. The ‘ID requirement’ is definitely something to
Now, shocking legislation is poised to disenfranchise a vast number of Ohio voters. Our legislature recently finished work on a large piece of revised election law that we believe will disenfranchise as many as 100.000 voters.
Sub HB3 is so problematic that, even after the Senate corrected some of the worst parts of this legislation, Senator Grendell broke ranks with his Republican colleagues over the fairness of the bill. When it went back to the House, it was turned down 99 to 0 apparently because it imposed a limit on how much state bosses could collect from their employees. Sub HB3 as passed by the Senate was opposed at the hearings by:
CASE (Citizens’ Alliance for Secure Elections)
OLWV (Ohio Chapter of the League of Women Voters)
CC (Common Cause)
PFAW (People for the American Way)
OCA (Ohio Citizen Action)
GCVC (Greater Cleveland Voter Coalition)
OHE (Ohio Honest Elections)
Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless
In testimony at the hearings, it was only supported by the secretary of state.
All the pieces of the election puzzle that we have seen in the past couple of years, when assembled today, show a picture where the foreground is focused mainly on incompetent and untrustworthy vendors supplying the voting machines. And in the background we see new election process rules that make voting significantly harder for isolated groups of people: the very young, the elderly, and the highly mobile. We can’t blink our eyes and make this picture go away, we must create a better one.
From CASE (Citizens’ Alliance for Secure Elections) see http://caseohio.org
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.