Given the near universal treatment by the parties and the press on both the Left and the Right that fancy themselves “responsible,” can we now “understand” (as in “able to explain, without justifying”) why the Soviets placed dissidents in mental hospitals? Here’s why: If you challenge beliefs that are very widespread and fundamental then the system can not deal with it, and concludes that the dissident must be crazy and in need of hospitalization.And then, once hospitalized, as a matter of true fact (‘ve represented people and gotten them out of mental hospitals) as a patient any anger you may show, or questioning of one’s status, or refusal to accept one’s “disagnosis”, or “uppity” behavior generally is then regarded as simply more evidence of a deteriorating mental condition and “decompensation” of the mental patient.
The perfect Catch-22 occurs when you are wrongly diagnosed with a particular mental condition (or if you are not even mentally ill at all) in which case one’s failure to fully accept the lie of your diagnosis or else making the decision to challenge the terms of your detention is simply cause to send you back to the mental hospital for even more intensive “treatment.”
That being said, it’s really not all that bad in talking to people. Almost all of those “against” us are totally unprepared with facts, they counter mainly with belief. There are also many people ready to listen and who are in fact listening, and many more who will look at you and wonder why it took you so long to figure it all out.But for those other many who find their fundamental beliefs challenged by information about the abysmal state of our elections, you will find those person’s minds running away from a fair analysis of the information presented about as fast as most people would run away from a mental hospital stay. As I like to say, our system will not be preserved by maintaining a panglossian confidence in it, our system, like freedom itself, is maintained by being vigilant and skeptical in its defense.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.