I couldn’t agree with you more, which is why massive organizing on the grass roots level is required.
The Leon County Florida hack of Diebold’s Central Tabulator on 12/13/05 (which our “Votergate” documentary team shot and facilitated by providing the hacker, Harri Hursti) was featured in the Sunday, NY Times editorial of 12/18. The hack was also carried by AP, leading to national and regional coverage including USA Today.
Credible actions like our hack fuel the election reform movement, engage and enrage otherwise quiet citizens, stimulate legislators, and alert establishment entities to the realities you so eloquently describe in your response to Tom Englehardt.
More and more of us are organizing for election reform, peace, social, economic, environmental justice, and true democracy. Our ranks are swelling as never before. As Paul Hawken has demonstrated, this is happening worldwide, and it’s happening in unprecedented numbers. Change will come from the bottom up. It always has. It always will.
Alas, this administration will do anything to consolidate power. Do not underestimate the number of wildcards they hold. Bombing Iran’s nuclear facilities is now rumored in Washington and in Europe. Another domestic terrorist attack could befall us. Jonathan, should something of that magnitude happen, the result could be, “the full-blown nightmare of American fascism come true” that you describe.
As Americans, organizing to save democracy at home remains our best and only recourse. This administration has clearly lost respect abroad. It’s incumbent upon us to demonstrate to the world that Americans are not in lockstep with our administration. World opinion coupled with massive dissent at home is the one wildcard that can trump everything. The stakes have never been higher. The more engaged citizens we bring to the table, the better our odds to win back our stolen democracy.
So ante up, take courage and organize like there is no tomorrow — or there might not be one.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.