This is a Direct Blog Entry by the author, James Moore posted on
Jan 4, 2006
James Moore is an Emmy-winning former television news correspondent and the co-author of the bestselling, Bush’s Brain: How Karl Rove Made George W. Bush Presidential. He has been writing and reporting from Texas for the past 25 years on the rise of Rove and Bush and has traveled extensively on every presidential campaign since 1976.
This author was placed on the no fly list.
Two points: there’s nothing you or I can do to help him but make this public, and two- we are all targets here. This should make you scared and pissed at the same time. If it doesn’t, check your pulse.
“I made it a point to arrive very early at the airport. My reservation was confirmed before I left home. I went to the electronic kiosk and punched in my confirmation number to print out my boarding pass and luggage tags. Another error message appeared, “Please see agent.”
I did. She took my Texas driver’s license and punched in the relevant information to her computer system.
“I’m sorry, sir,” she said. “There seems to be a problem. You’ve been placed on the No Fly Watch List.”
“I’m afraid there isn’t much more that I can tell you,” she explained. “It’s just the list that’s maintained by TSA to check for people who might haveterrorist connections.”
“I’m afraid so, sir. Here’s an 800 number in Washington. You need to call them before I can clear you for the flight.”
Exasperated, I dialed the number from my cell, determined to clear up what I was sure was a clerical error. The woman who answered offered me no more information than the ticket agent.
“Ma’am, I’d like to know how I got on the No Fly Watch List.”
“I’m not really authorized to tell you that, sir,” she explained after taking down my social security and Texas driver’s license numbers.
“What can you tell me?”
“All I can tell you is that there is something in your background that in some way is similar to someone they are looking for.”
“Well, let me get this straight then,” I said. “Our government is looking for a guy who may have a mundane Anglo name, who pays tens of thousands of dollars every year in taxes, has never been arrested or even late on a credit card payment, is more uninteresting than a Tupperware party, and cries after the first two notes of the national anthem? We need to find this guy. He sounds dangerous to me.”
“I’m sorry, sir, I’ve already told you everything I can.”
“Oh, wait,” I said. “One last thing: this guy they are looking for? Did he write books critical of the Bush administration, too?”
I have been on the No Fly Watch List for a year. I will never be told the official reason. No one ever is. You cannot sue to get the information.
Nothing I have done has moved me any closer to getting off the list. There were 35,000 Americans in that database last year. According to a European government that screens hundreds of thousands of American travelers every year, the list they have been given to work from has since grown to 80,000.
No Comments to “James Moore is on the No-Fly List”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.