Welcome to Ohio, 2006–where voters must present i.d.’s, random machine audits will be strictly limited, and recounts will be unaffordable for average citizens.
Welcome to Bush-style “democracy”!
URGENT – CONTACT YOUR STATE LEGISLATORS TODAY –
LAST CHANCE TO PREVENT OHIO ELECTION DISASTER!
Go to: http://congressweb.com
On Tuesday, January 31, the Ohio House & Senate will likely approve Ohio HB3, a bill which will severely undermine future elections in Ohio, unless we speak out. The issues at stake are:
1) The cost of a recount will quintuple, making recounts virtually unaffordable;
2) Random audits of electronic voting machines will be restricted, making it harder to track machine fraud; and
3) Voter ID’s will be required, potentially disenfranchising specific groups.
There has been little recent press about these controversial changes. The issue of requiring a voter ID itself should be a page-one story, not a tiny blurb buried deep within the Local section of the January 27,2006 Cincinnati Enquirer (see below). The other changes, possibly even more damaging to fair elections, are not mentioned.
The reason the bill was not passed before Christmas and, instead, sent back to committee, concerned campaign contribution limits. Because the media was asleep, there was no public debate on the real issues at stake.
While the provision to dis-allow a secretary of state to also serve as head of a political campaign is heralded as progress, it is a smokescreen for the inequities hidden within the lengthy bill. Even this specific provision seems too little too late . . . considering last year’s election where Blackwell served in the dual role of Secretary of State and Co-Chair of the Ohio Bush-Cheney campaign.
There is still time for a public outcry, but without the help of the media and with only a few days remaining, we rely on you to quickly and aggressively get the word out.
As Mr. Blackwell and his Patriot Pastor buddies are fond of saying, “As Ohio goes, so goes the nation.”
Marji & Janice
Friday, Jan. 27, 2006 Cincinnati Enquirer
Overhaul bill sent for vote
A joint legislative committee voted Thursday to send a bill overhauling how Ohio conducts elections on to the House and Senate for full votes next week. The bill would require voters to show identification at the polling place, prohibit the Ohio secretary of state from serving on a campaign or issue committee other than the secretary’s own campaign committee, and increase the number of signatures required to initiate a statewide ballot issue from 100 to 1000, among other changes. The committee took out a cap in the original bill on the money local officials could receive from their employees for political campaigns. Instead, the committee expanded the prohibition for state and county elected officials from soliciting donations from employees to include local officials such as mayors. The House and Senate take up the compromise Tuesday.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.