The Department of Justice has sent a letter to New York indicating their intent to file a lawsuit against New York State due to our non-compliance with HAVA.
The DOJ letter is attached (see below). The implications of this, and how it proceeds, are huge. Just how far will the DOJ go to insure compliance with HAVA? Will they only take back the HAVA funds and fine us, or are there more ominous possibilities – a federal judge stepping in and choosing NY’s voting machines, or enforcing a DOJ imposed implementation plan?
On January 10, 2006, the Department of Justice sent a letter to Attorney General Eliot Spitzer and the New York State Board of Elections informing them that:
“I have authorized the filing of a lawsuit on behalf of the United States against the State of New York as well as the New York State Board of Elections, et al, pursuant to Sections 301 and 303(a) of the Help America Vote Act of 2002, 42 U.S.C && 15481 and 15483(a).Section 401 of HAVA, 42 U.S.C. & 15511, authorizes the Attorney General to bring an action in federal district court for such declaratory and injunctive relief as is necessary to carry out the requirements of Title III of HAVA.”
Basically, we are considered non-compliant with the voting machine provisions of HAVA (section 301), and the voter registration database requirements (Section 303).
The letter is clear that they feel NY is the worst of the worst non-compliant states:
“It is beyond dispute that New York is not now in compliance…”
“…it is clear that New York is not close to approaching full HAVA compliance, and , in our view, is further behind in that regard than any other state in the country.”
They state that resolution may be resolved through a “negotiated consent decree rather than through costly and protracted litigation” and ask if NY is willing to “enter into negotiations for a fair and equitable settlement of this matter…”
No Comments to “DOJ is suing to force touch-screens on New York!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.