8 December 2005
The DRE Museum: Part 2
Just because we have a democracy doesn’t mean it’s perfect. A few of the guards will commit torture.
–Condoleezza Rice, in Europe, quoted by NPR 12/8/05
ON LESS THAN TWO DAYS’ NOTICE, the crowds in front of the board of elections (and voter registration) office in Doylestown, the county seat of Bucks County, PA, milled around a display of two DREs. Notice had been so short that the other two manufacturers, Danaher and ES&S (the only certified PBOS manufacturer so far, as in New York; the only one willing to sell PBOS because they cost less than DREs; the largest manufacturer of its kind in this country), couldn’t be there.
Though the display was open to the public, those who attended, around thirty to forty when I was there in the morning for about an hour and a half, were all activists, all vociferously opposed to paperless DREs that so far are running ahead of other options here. All asked bladed questions to the hapless displayers, undoubtedly hired because of their sang froid, though the displayer I spoke to the most rubbed up against me pleadingly, sensing a kind heart behind my kind smile, mumbling under her breath in exasperation at one point that she didn’t make these machines. The manufacturer in this case was Advanced Voting, a company I hadn’t heard of previously.
I spoke at length also with Councilman Jim Crawley, who told me to call him Jim, the only member of the council present. A juror/officer of elections in a red dress came up to us briefly to voice her disappointment at the small number of people present, but scurried off before I could get her name or be refused this information.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.