Santa Fe County chooses new voting machines
By JULIE ANN GRIMM | The New Mexican
December 6, 2005
Despite an 11th-hour protest from people who question the security and effectiveness of new electronic voting machines, Santa Fe County Clerk Valerie Espinoza has ordered touch-screen voting machines to comply with a federal mandate.
New Mexico Secretary of State Rebecca Vigil-Giron gave the state’s 33 county clerks until today to decide which of three state-approved machines they prefer. Espinoza said Monday that she told the secretary’s office last week to order touch-screen machines called Sequoia Edge.
Espinoza requested 56 of the machines, one for each county polling place, as required by the federal Help America Vote Act, she said.
The machines — aimed at creating equal voting rights for disabled voters and those who do not speak English — are at the center of controversy still swirling from the 2004 general election.
Lowell Finley, a California lawyer who successfully sued voting-machine manufacturer Diebold, has teamed up with Albuquerque attorney John Boyd in a lawsuit against the secretary of state on behalf of eight New Mexico voters who say the Sequoia Edge touch-screen machines malfunctioned in Bernalillo County and other counties in New Mexico.
The lawsuit, currently in discovery in the state’s 2nd Judicial District Court, also seeks to prohibit the state from using Sequoia’s touch-screen machines again.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.