Pentagon May Be Tracking Activists
December 14, 2005
WASHINGTON â€” The Pentagon has a secret database that indicates the U.S. military may be collecting information on Americans who oppose the Iraq war and may be monitoring peace demonstrations, NBC reported Tuesday.
The database, obtained by the network, lists 1,500 “suspicious incidents” across the United States over a 10-month period and includes four dozen antiwar meetings or protests, some aimed at military recruiting, “NBC’s Nightly News” said.
The network said the document was the first look at how the Pentagon had stepped up intelligence collection in the U.S. since the Sept. 11 attacks.
The report quoted what it said was a secret d! ocument as concluding: “We have noted increased communication between protest groups using the Internet” but not a “significant connection” between incidents.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.