From Kat L.:
As we approach the 5th anniversary of Bush v Gore (December 12) and remember the day they stopped the counting of votes in Florida in 2000, I think it’s important to give advocates of honest elections in Ohio like Jonathan and Kyle our time and attention. For those of you outside of Ohio, keep them in your good thoughts or contact them if you can for an interview or to send them well wishes. For those of you in Ohio, take a stand beside them for fair public elections. December 12th is the day for all of us to renew our commitment in this struggle, and we do so by demanding that power in our democracy be shared and that not one more American is disenfranchised.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Update on Hunger Strike, Prayer Vigil to Stop HB3
Contact: Jonathan Meier, (614)208-1593; Rev. John Edgar, (614)327-5468
COLUMBUS, Ohio – (December 9, 2005) – Despite the heavy snow storm and bitter temperatures, Jonathan Meier, a 23 year-old divinity student and Columbus resident, is continuing a prayer vigil and hunger strike at the Ohio Statehouse to signal his disgust and distrust with House Bill 3 – the vote reform bill proposed and supported by GOP lawmakers. Early this morning, Meier was joined by Kyle Poorman, a 25 year-old voter organizer from Columbus.
Meier says that the demonstration is his way of highlighting the injustice of House Bill 3.
“Most people don’t realize that this legislation, if passed by the senate next week, would make it virtually impossible for homeless folks to vote, would make it virtually impossible for groups to register large numbers of voters, would eliminate oversight of voting machines, and would cancel our right to challenge election results.”
Why prayer and a hunger strike? Meier says that his Christian faith calls him to “constantly pursue social justice and illuminate social ills, and, often, this call requires personal sacrifice.”
The Ohio Senate is expected to vote on House Bill 3 next week. Meier affirms that he will continue praying and fasting until that point.
“Who gains from this legislation?,” Meier asks. “Instead of addressing the long lines at the polls, instead of making it easier for people to register and to vote, Republican lawmakers put forward 424 pages of legislation that will set up roadblocks to our democracy. I, for one, do not trust a vote reform bill that is purely a partisan act.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.