I was at a meeting with the chairman of the Harris County (Houston) Dems and three Congressional candidates. I raised the issue of electronic voting and the recent GAO report. None of the candidates had even heard of the GAO report, and the chairman insisted on changing the subject, saying that if voters thought their votes wouldn’t count we’d never get them to the polls — as if the casting of votes was the “end” instead of the “means” to an end.
I was flabbergasted. The Democratic Party can only be described as willfully ignoring this crucial issue. Their acquiescence in spite of their upset defeats (2000, 2002, 2004) combined with the sudden failure of previously reliable polling methodologies since the introduction of e-voting is inexplicable for a political party that really wants to win. Do they really want to win or do they just like doing a pantomime of democracy? What the hell is going on here?
I’m coming to the conclusion that, lacking a successful legal challenge or a legislative fix (neither appears likely), a coordinated nation-wide “Boston Tea Party” campaign of citizen action to smash the e-voting machines at the polls or where they are warehoused is the only thing that will save our democracy.
No Comments to “Boston Tea Party, anyone?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.