Bolton’s schoolyard-level diplomacy
by JOHN R. MACARTHUR
09:33 AM EDT on Tuesday, October 4, 2005
IMAGINE we’re back in October 1962, at the height of the Cold War, in the thick of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The world’s survival is at stake, threatened by the real possibility of nuclear war between the two superpowers, neither one prepared to concede an inch.
Then imagine this scene: The terribly tense Security Council debate is under way between the Soviet and U.S. representatives to the United Nations. Suddenly, just after Soviet Ambassador Valerian Zorin begins to speak, his American counterpart, Adlai Stevenson, rises and walks out of the room, leaving two note takers behind. Imagine further that the pretext for the walk-out is Zorin’s supposedly “terrorist” youth and the Soviet refusal to allow foreign inspectors into its nuclear facilities.
No doubt you would find such undiplomatic behavior at best shortsighted — at worst, purile, provocative, and dangerous. No doubt even some of the most anti-communist journalists would criticize American arrogance and immaturity.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.