Miers Is Asked About Role in ’98 Campaign
By Charles Babington and Amy Goldstein
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, October 22, 2005; A10
Senators are asking Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers to provide more information about her role as a lawyer for President Bush’s 1998 Texas gubernatorial campaign, for which her firm was paid $140,000.
In answering a Judiciary Committee questionnaire this week, Miers mentioned her legal roles in Bush’s first gubernatorial campaign, in 1994, and in his 2000 campaign for president. But she did not mention the 1998 gubernatorial reelection campaign, for which her firm was paid far more than the $7,000 it received in 1994, according to a review of campaign records by the Associated Press.
The questionnaire asked Miers to describe “services rendered, whether compensated or not, to any political party, election committee or transition team.” The committee’s Republican chairman and ranking Democrat on Wednesday asked Miers to provide more information on several items, including her “political activities.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.