From R. Miller:
As a single mom without a drop of oil in the tank (and it’s pretty chilly already here in rainy Boston) I would like to know if we are still paying DICK CHENEY’S utility bill?
I haven’t forgotten that the sneering fatcat pawned his electric bill off on the Navy, with Republican Congressional approval, the minute he squatted in the Vice Presidential mansion, back in 2001. Now with record prices for fuel these rethuglicans are cutting aid for needy families who can barely afford the basic necessities.
Has the media forgotten? Is there any way to find out if we the people are still paying Cheney’s electric bill? If the Republicans are so into cutting government subsidy of utilities and so into personal responsibility, shouldn’t Dick be footing his own bill?
Senate again blocks heating aid for poor families
October 21, 2005
WASHINGTON — For the second time this month, the Senate voted against putting more money into a program that helps low-income families meet home heating costs.
Senators who opposed the $3.1 billion in emergency money for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program said the aid would be dealt with as part of a larger emergency spending bill that Congress probably will consider soon.
But advocates said that with the weather turning cold in northern states and energy prices soaring, there was no time to delay. Many families, said Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.), a sponsor of the measure, face a stark choice — ”to heat or to eat.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.