Bush Picks Alito for Supreme Court
By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer
President Bush, stung by the rejection of his first choice, will nominate conservative judge Samuel Alito to replace moderate Justice Sandra Day O’Connor in a bid to reshape the Supreme Court and mollify his political base, officials said Monday.
The choice was likely to spark a political brawl. Unlike the nomination of Harriet Miers, which was derailed by Bush’s conservative allies, Alito faces opposition from liberal Democrats.
Bush planned to announce the nomination at 8 a.m. EST. Wasting no time, the White House arranged for Alito to go to the Capitol after the announcement.
The schedule called for Senate Majority Leader Bill First to greet him and accompany the nominee to the Capitol Rotunda to go to the coffin of the late civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.