David L. Kirp
Monday, September 19, 2005
That the Federal Emergency Management Agency mismanaged the Hurricane Katrina relief effort is old news. But there’s more to FEMA’s failure than simple bungling. The Bush administration’s core belief that faith-based organizations can do the job better than the government or experienced nonprofits has compounded the problem.
Immediately after the hurricane, there were only two secular organizations to which FEMA’s Web site urged that contributions be made; all the others were faith-based. What’s worse, in at least some instances, FEMA relied on faith-based charities to spearhead the emergency-relief effort, regardless of whether they had expertise. Case in point: Tulsa, Okla.
Years before Katrina, a coalition of public agencies and nonprofit groups in Tulsa, led by the Red Cross, had devised a disaster plan. In the wake of Katrina, the coalition quickly developed a detailed strategy to aid the survivors who, it was anticipated, would be sent to Tulsa — to provide help not just in the immediate aftermath but for the days and weeks ahead.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.