New Orleans Braces for Staggering Death Toll
Officials are preparing for thousands of dead
By Der Spiegel
09/05/05 — — Over the weekend, New Orleans’s rescue operation turned into a recovery mission to find the city’s dead. There are still no firm estimates for the exact death toll — but most agree it will be out of the ballpark, at least for a natural disaster in an industrial nation. United States Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt is expecting that 1,000 to 2,000 body bags will be filled. But the city’s deeply stressed out mayor, Ray Nagin, who infamously called on President George W. Bush to “fix this goddamned crisis,” offered up a staggering figure in interviews.
Here’s his equation: The city has close to 500,000 residents and if you conservatively assume that 5 percent remained in New Orleans after the flooding, the numbers could go through the roof. “So you probably have another 50-60,000 out there,” he said. “You do the math, man, what do you think? Five percent is unreasonable? Ten percent? Twenty percent? It’s going to be a big number.” Louisiana’s Republican Senator, David Vitter said he believes the figure will exceed 10,000.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.