From an emergency plan that made it practically impossible for anyone without the means to get out of the city, to herding people and starving them in the SuperDome, to the Sheriff of Gretna firing shotguns over the heads of mostly black survivors to prevent them from entering that town, this is what happens when a nice, middle-class we’re-not-racist-we-have-black-caddies sort of racism is allowed to thrive.
And it’s about to get worse. From the New York Times:
In 1966, the Supreme Court held that the poll tax was unconstitutional. Nearly 40 years later, Georgia is still charging people to vote, this time with a new voter ID law that requires many people without driver’s licenses – a group that is disproportionately poor, black and elderly – to pay $20 or more for a state ID card. Georgia went ahead with this even though there is not a single place in the entire city of Atlanta where the cards are sold. The law is a national disgrace.
Imagine that: Not only charging people $20 for the necessary ID to vote, but then providing no actual places to buy the thing.
The Georgia law is so egregiously unconstitutional that one wonders how on earth they expect to get away with it.
Well, first, they’ve already gotten away with this sort of thing. The voter purges of the 2000 election was getting away with it. The manufactured difficulty for people in poorer, blacker and more democratic precincts to vote in Ohio during the 2004 election was getting away with it. The needless deaths in New Orleans is getting away with it. Racism is the big stinking turd in the American punch bowl and its not just that most are not just too polite to notice, but that some actually think it gives their Kool-Aid an interesting flavor.
To hedge their bets that they can get away with it, and more, the right wing has in place John Roberts, a judicial plant with an ad hoc two year’s experience as a judge after a career as a partisan right wing hack, who the right plans — shamelessly, really — to install as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States.
If the mostly complicit Democratic legislators allow them to get away with that, it provides a firm measure of just how completely useless they are.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.