September 16, 2005
Debating Cindy Sheehan
Bill O’Reilly vs. Phil Donahue
By CounterPunch News Service
Transcript from the O’Reilly Factor, FoxNews
O’REILLY: In the past Miss [Cindy] Sheehan has criticized Israel, saying it is occupying Palestine, has called Iraqi insurgents “freedom fighters,” has accused Americans of killing people ever since we stepped on this continent, has threatened Hillary Clinton with the loss her job unless she calls for a pullout of US troops from Iraq and has called the US action against Afghanistan a failure. Quite a resume and with us now is Phil Donahue, who supports Miss Sheehan’s “dissent.” So, I’m assuming you don’t – you don’t support all her positions that I just chronicled.
DONAHUE: Let’s understand what’s happening here. Once again we have a woman who got to be just a little too famous for the people who support this war, a minority of the American population, by the way, and so the effort to marginalize this woman is underway and you’re helping out.
O’REILLY: I’m the leader of the pack!
DONAHUE: You’re suggesting …
O’REILLY: I’m the leader of the pack!
DONAHUE: First of all, Cindy Sheehan is one tough mother and nothing you say or anyone else is gonna slow her down.
O’REILLY: That’s fine. She has a right to …
DONAHUE: You can’t hurt her. She’s already taken the biggest punch in the nose that a woman can take.
DONAHUE: She lost a son.
O’REILLY: Oh. OK.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.