US jets target Zarqawi hideout
August 28, 2005
US jets launched multiple air strikes yesterday against a “terrorist safe house” in Iraq’s western Al Anbar province, destroying the building where up to 50 al-Qaeda militants were believed to be hiding.
A statement said the coalition ground forces were alerted by local residents that a number of terrorists had gathered in an abandoned building north-east of the Husaybah, located on the Syrian border about 320km west of Baghdad.
There were reports that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq and the second most-wanted terrorist on the US list after al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, was in the area.
“Iraqi citizens reported that approximately 50 terrorists were in the building at the time of the air strike,” the statement said.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.