From John Graham:
Last month I told you I’d just been put on the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Watch List of persons “posing or suspected of posing a threat to civil aviation or national security.” The TSA gave no reasons for putting me on the list and no chance to explain or defend myself. Being on this list means I can be stopped from boarding any airplane anytime-and I pretty much have to fly for a living.
I’m fighting this assault on civil liberties with everything I’ve got-for myself and for the thousands of other innocent people on that list.
Many of you have asked to be updated on my progress.
The article I wrote has been been picked up by over 22,000 websites, sites representing the widest imaginable array of political thinking.
Here at my organization, the Giraffe Heroes Project, we’re fielding calls, setting up interviews, mailing out information–working in every way we can to marshall public opinion in defense of liberty. You can read and watch one of my interviews by clicking here. I’m doing radio talk shows across the country.
I’ve approached 30 of the most relevant Congresspeople and Senators, urging them to amend the Patriot Act and the Intelligence Reform Act to provide a better balance between legitimate security concerns and basic civil liberties.
If I have to, I’ll sue, either on my own or as part of a class action. The ACLU is very interested in the case and I’m trying to generate the same interest on the libertarian right. The flood of mail I’ve gotten so far confirms that alarm about assaults on civil liberties crosses all partisan lines.
This campaign gains momentum daily. Hundreds of staff hours now are going into this cause, draining the resources the Giraffe Heroes Project needs to continue our “regular” work of finding and publicizing real heroes, helping teachers use our classroom materials, and booking speeches and workshops about active citizenship. And this may just be the beginning.
We need to hire some help before we drown.
I’ve already gotten an offer of pro bono legal representation, if it comes to a lawsuit. People who live nearby have asked to come in and stuff envelopes; others have walked up to me asking if it would help to write a check.
Let me tell you what I tell them–yes, sending money would help!
One click puts you on the Giraffe Heroes Project’s donation page.
If sending money through cyberspace is a concern, please send a check to the Giraffe Heroes Project, PO Box 759, Langley WA 98260. Earmark it for the “National Watch List Campaign.” Yes, it’s tax deductible.
Take a stand with us!
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.