Press Contact: Ilene Proctor or Angus Hsu
Direct Line: (310) 271.5857
Cell: (310) 721.2336 OR Linda Schade 301-270-6150
Diebold’s Election Division Jolted by Reliability and Security Concerns
Voting Unit Proves Drag on Earnings and Corporate Image
Washington, DC – Diebold’s Elections Division is in serious trouble. In this week’s delayed second quarter earnings report Diebold admits that negative perceptions of Diebold’s AccuVote TS and TSx voting systems have produced ‘lower revenue’ and lower ‘margin and earnings per share’. In its second quarter earnings report, Diebold had high hopes its Elections Division would prop up earnings in its troubled ATM division by 5% to 37%. These problems are likely to escalate as problems in the largest voting market in the United States, California, may cause Diebold to be excluded from that market.
After a dramatic 20% failure rate in a recent Alameda County demonstration, over 18,000 TSX voting machines sit idle in warehouses all over the California. Some governments have refused to pay for the units until the problems are fixed. Election officials in Alameda County are considering another supplier altogether. Diebold’s election problems come at a time when Diebold’s core business is suffering from price pressure and the overall down trend in ATM deliveries.
Elaine Ginnold, Alameda County’s acting registrar of voters, said problems reported in the recent tests have her seriously thinking about a switch of strategy in which the county would emphasize paper ballots using optical scanners rather than touch-screen devices.
Diebold provides election systems statewide in Georgia, and most of Maryland. These states use an older version of the AccuVote(R) touch screen the TS6, but critics say even those machines are flawed and prone to screen freezes and other Election Day
problems. Law suits alleging security and accuracy defects are pending in Maryland, and in Georgia Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney recently revealed an internal memo from Georgia Sectary of State Cathy Cox. Attached was a list of thirty problems with Diebold machines including lack of certification. Oddly Diebold is slated to deploy the troublesome and out of production TS6 in Baltimore City Maryland next month.
“The problems seen in California are consistent with problems with the Diebold election machines in other parts of the county. In Montgomery County, MD the IT report on Election Day 2004 found that up to 12 percent of machines failed totally or partially on Election Day. The same types of problems seen in the California tests — screen freezes, machine crashes, and error reports — occurred in Maryland on Election Day,” said Linda Scahde of TrueVoteMD.org.
Internally Diebold’s problems in California may trigger another management shake-up in the election division. Insiders say the recent departure of Gregory T. Geswein, senior vice president and chief financial officer was directly related to Diebold’s California problems. Second-quarter net income was $33.3 million, or 47 cents a share, down 24% from $43.6 million, or 60 cents a share in the year-ago period.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Ostroy Report
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.