From Ilene Proctor:
From: David Donnelly, Public Campaign Action Fund
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 10:53 AM
To: Ilene Proctor
Subject: House Ethics: Stranger than Fiction
In this Congress, the truth about ethics is stranger than fiction. And often, more elusive.
A congressman took a trip paid for by a corporation that he helped get a government contract, but he didn’t to disclose it – an apparent violation of House rules. And, what’s worse, the corporation’s employees were the congressman’s top contributor in the 2004 election.
Does that sound like reason enough to have the House Ethics Committee investigate him?
But what if that member of Congress was Doc Hastings of Washington state, the chairman of the Ethics Committee?
This is the man that is, so far, refusing to appoint an outside counsel to investigate Tom DeLay.
Enough is enough. Doc Hastings should step down from his Ethics Committee chairmanship and support the appointment of an outside counsel to investigate the House lobbying scandals.
Call him today at (202) 225-5816.
Hastings is standing in the way of an independent investigation into DeLay, who has given him $5,930 in Political Action Committee contributions, and trying to appoint his chief of staff from his congressional office to head the nonpartisan Ethics Committee staff, contrary to Committee rules.
Now we find out he’s failed to disclose trips paid for by a corporation to which he’s steered lucrative government contracts and from whose employees he’s received $10,200 for his 2004 election.
He should resign as chair immediately and support the appointment of an outside counsel. No ifs, ads, or buts. Call Hastings’s office today at (202) 225-5816.
After you’ve called, give us a sense of how the call went at the Daily DeLay.
Public Campaign Action Fund
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Early America
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.